Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Baltic Sea/The Baltic Sea Redux

Photobucket


Last weekend, Sascha, Katja and I went to the Baltic Sea. Katja's grandparents own a home up there, in a town called Karlshagen, which sits literally feet from the ocean. After the three-hour car ride from Berlin, it was refreshing to hear the ocean in the distance.

Photobucket


It was pretty relaxed and low key. We went to see a museum, which was only accessible after a walk through what looked like a picturesque midwestern prairie, complete with cows and endless blue sky. It was pretty unique, however, because of the cool sea breeze that blew through all of the trees. That's something Kansas certainly can't brag about!

Photobucket


We ate lots, drank lots and relaxed lots. The picture below is from one of my favorite moments, in which we sat at a small cafe and had coffee and pastries. A small cat (who we later came to know as Tommy) came at Katja's call, and became a fast friend when I fed him chocolate and cream. It was a weekend of indulgence, and I couldn't see why Tommy couldn't impart on our vacation!

Photobucket


On Thursday this week, Sascha and I drove back up (after Poland) to help Katja's grandparents build a fence around the backyard of their property. Although it was a lot of work, it was actually really nice. I don't actually get to do things like that very often, and I realized that I actually really enjoyed it. It was interesting to see gender role dynamics, with Katja's grandmother doing the cooking and cleaning while the boys did the manual labor.

I'll write more on that later, but all in all, it was a good time. It gave me more time to lay on the beach and enjoy the summer, which is quickly coming to a head here in Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment