Saturday, September 19, 2009

Poland

On Monday, Sascha, Christoph and I decided to go to Poland. Sascha and I talked a bit about where in Poland we'd like to go, and we narrowed it to two cities that wee relatively close to Berlin. Warsaw and Krakow would have been too far, although they may have been the most ideal for city dwellers like us. In the end, we decided on Wroclaw (I call it "war claw," but apparently Germans call it "vraw-clav") and Poznan.

Photobucket


Both were really beautiful, although I was partial to Poznan a bit more. The picture taken above is from Wroclaw, where we spent our first night. After getting in, we had to park the car in a mall and walk around to find a hostel. It took a couple of tries, but after wandering around and asking the right people, we found an appropriate spot to camp out. The hostel was relatively empty, it was clean, and there was no curfew, so we found it to be a steal.

Photobucket


After the stress of driving and of hunting down a place to sleep, we all needed a drink. We tried a couple of local Polish beers at this sports bar, which was on the main city square. All the streets were made of cobble stone which gave it that stereotypical feeling of antique Europe everyone in the United States fantasizes about. We stumbled our way across them to the next bar in search of food, but after another failed attempt, we had more beer at this place.

With our increasing debauchery, we decided to take more risks. We ordered what Berliners call "Mexicaners," which are made with vodka, tomato juice and Tabasco a-la Bloody Mary in a shot glass. After a round of beer and a shot of those, we headed to the next place.

We made it to another bar we suspected might have food, but didn't. Instead of caring about getting our hunger satiated, we satisfied our need for alcohol with another round of beer. Now, believe me, on an empty stomach, I began to lose track of how much we were consuming. We could have had two rounds here for all I know. All I remember, though, is that, after dinner, we miraculously wound up here again.

Dinner was at this British pub that had Guiness scrawled across every inch of it. After ordering and inadvertently using the women's restroom, I had this nice sesame chicken dish that I don't really remember because it was overshadowed by a nice frothy pint of Guiness.

Needless to say, it was a sloppy night. I vaguely remember being asked to dance, taking two more shots, and throwing up in a urinal. At least, I think I therw up because there were splatters on my jeans and shoes the next morning.

Photobucket


The next morning, we went to this restaurant that determined the price you paid for the food by how much it weighed. That's right - priced per kilo. That should have been the first sign. I picked what I thought would be harmless food that looked Polish, and boy, was I ever sorry. Nothing tasted the way I expected it to taste, nor felt the way I thought it would feel. However, my embarrassment and discomfort with the food was quickly eased by the fact that neither Christoph nor Sascha enjoyed their meals, either.

Photobucket


Poznan was mostly about the museums and culture because of our debauchery the night before. We went to a Polish military museum and checked out all the heavy artillery, and I was pleased to find a tank with 415 scrawled across the side of it. SF represent!

Photobucket


The last really memorable thing about Poznan was a synagogue that had been converted into a swimming pool after World War II. Sadly, it had never been restored to a synagogue, and continues to be a place where Christian Polish children pee in the water. Yummo!

All in all, Poland was a mix of drunkenness and culture - a balance that I find myself strinking more and more each year, mostly with extremities. Next week, we're off to Spain! Hopefully, I strike that balance even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment